Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Rant: The one and only time I ever wanted to call a radio show

So I was driving to a client's house listening to a radio show out of L.A. on XM Radio. A girl wanted to prank her friend because she's apparently crazy (as I soon found out) by having the host call her friend acting like the daycare for her friend's daughter.

Ok, ok...if you're like me, at first you're thinking "whoa, that's nothing to mess around with"...but read on.

So the host pretends to be the principal of her little pre-school/daycare and informs the friend/mom that her daughter has been acting out, biting, hitting, and generally causing issues. Fine. Logical reaction of the mother (or what I thought would be logical) would be "oh wow, I'm sorry, what's going on, how can I handle this?". However, mother's reaction was:

"WHAT?! You're lying! My daughter is an angel! She never acts out! What kind of a teacher are you?! Are you saying I'm a bad mother?!"

I'm sorry...but what the F? How is that an appropriate reaction at all? The radio host then had the original girl call her friend as part of the prank and of course the woman goes off to her friend about the daycare calling. To make matters worse, the woman said she had meant to tell her friend that she noticed her daughter pulling her own daughter's hair and bullying her and so maybe the school was right.

You would have thought that the child's life was threatened the way this woman went crazy! She banned her friend from play dates (seems like the friend won out on this one) saying she was lying and blackmailing her daughter (does she know what blackmailing means?) and her daughter is a perfect angel.

ARRGGHHHHH!

Obviously, this woman is on the extreme end but it got me thinking about other times I've heard about this issue; there are so many parents out there that think their child can do no wrong and take it extremely personally when their children don't do well, act out, make a mistake. But who gets blamed? Teachers, day care providers, coaches, other parents. And then these kids grow up to feel so self-important and entitled!

It scares me for when Conrad goes to school or when he gets old enough for play dates. Obviously, all you can do is teach your child the best you can and hope it works. And children are children! Even the best parents in the world are going to have kids that make mistakes.

I know for sure when I was growing up if I ever acted out and an adult spoke to my mother about it, she wouldn't question the adult but would turn to me and say, "Well, what do you have to say for yourself?!" And chances are, I did wrong and had to fess up and change my behavior.

I SO wanted to call in the radio station and give my two cents but since it was via XM they didn't give the # nor did they have any follow up to it.

Am I the only one that feels this woman is crazy? Has anyone ever dealt with crazy moms like this?

Attempting to keep it together 24/7,


Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment