Pages

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Working Mom Fashion

When I first went back to work from maternity leave, it was exciting to be able to wear “real people clothes” after living in yoga pants and nursing tanks for almost four months. However, that novelty quickly wore off when I remember what a pain it was to dress for work every day. I work with seniors – mainly those in their 80s – and my company requires “business casual” dress, erring on the side of a little more formal. We’re talking panty hose if you wear a skirt or dress *insert gag here*, jacket or sweater, suits preferred….aka, don’t look trendy or cute. SO…my big dilemma is how to stay professional while not aging myself, losing my sense of style, or generally making myself want to vomit when entering the ladies room and catching a glance in the mirror on a break.

I’ve found that the best way to go is keep apparel simple and use accessories to add a little pizzazz. Here’s some pieces that I’m loving:








And during the winter, which is the only time I’ll wear pantyhose at all, I’ll wear it in black, textured, or sometimes if I’m being daring, a dark-colored navy or plum. But never nude (lol, anyone watch Arrested Development? Tobias? Never Nude? Ok, nevermind…). Why? I can never find it in the right color or thickness. I end up looking super-duper tan or ghostly white. There’s no in between for me. I’ve found the best places to shop for said liked (and I say “liked” very limitedly as I would rather not wear any) tights are H&M, The Limited, Express, and then of course Nordstrom’s or Lord & Taylor if you want to pay $30 for a pair of tights that will rip the first chance you wear them. Can you tell I’m bitter about this topic?
I’ve also found that pairing a bold shoe with blah suit is fun as well:

via Macys



via Piperlime


Any ideas from other working moms out there?

Attempting to keep it together 24/7,

Elizabeth

 


No comments:

Post a Comment