Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Thankful Thursdays

So the main reason I've been MIA so much is because we've been working on SELLING OUR HOUSE!! We originally planned to stay in our current home for 5 to 7 years and were fine with having one or two kids here (I was raised in a townhouse after all!) and moving to a larger home before our first child went to kindergarten. However, when the DC metro system decided to build a stop in the area we've always wanted to live in, we decided to go for it - after all, home prices were sure to rise when the stop opens next year, right? So, we took the plunge after owning our home for only 4 years.



 After MONTHS of preparation, blood, sweat and tears from my husband and his father, and me having several breakdowns, we put our home on the market on May 9th - and we had multiple offers and a contract by May 16th!! We are very fortunate to be in such a stellar real estate market - plus we had an amazing agent.

Actually, let me re-phrase that  - a stellar "Sellers" market. Because we have yet to find a new house! There's just nothing on the market in the areas we want at the moment. Alas, when we close on the 16th of next month we will be homeless. 


Well, technically not homeless because we are blessed to have some kick-ass friends that offered their home up to us even before ours was on the market! So we will be staying with them and hopefully not wearing out our welcome for more than a month - keep your fingers crossed!

I definitely have had my moments of panic and stress at not having a home, especially with the baby's arrival at four months away. However, as my oh-so-positive husband reminds me, at least we are fortunate enough to have had a home to sell, have sweet friends who will keep us, and enough money to buy a bigger single family home. So today, I'm thankful for our home; for our income that provides us this home; for jobs that fuel this income. I am thankful to have had this experience at such a young age - I was 24 when we bought this house! It has brought Sean, myself, and our families closer together; provided us a space to entertain and host; and it has been a space to test and develop our decorating, repairing, planning, negotiating, and compromising skills. I should always be thankful for a roof over our head, whether it's ours or a friend's, during heat, rain, and cold - that which a majority of this world lacks. May I always remember and keep this in mind when I'm stressed.

Attempting to keep it together 24/7,


Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment